Sharing a mile in the journey of patients with genetic disorders




Everyone of us have different experiences while working in the field of human genetics. We have different stories to share. Here we present to you a brief excerpt of the journey of Dr. Anushree Mishra, a postdoctoral fellow at CSIR-IGIB. Her PhD research was focussed on Mitochondrial disorders from AIIMS, Delhi.


How would you describe your everyday work routine while dealing with patients?

My research life of nearly 7 years in AIIMS, Delhi, was no less than an array of emotions confronting me every single day. Sitting at OPD and watching patients with children suffering from genetic disorders wanting a better life for their kids was almost a daily sight for me. Different kinds of patients would be waiting to ask for updates about their reports even before I reach. Each had a unique way of expressing their feelings Even with a modern society and changing mindsets, till today there are instances where the mother gets blamed if something is found genetically wrong in the child. I have been in this situation quite a few times when patients approach me and ask if they will ever have a normal baby or how long their baby will live. As a researcher it had a two way impact on me. One is uncontrollably the emotional burden which comes along with the patient’s feelings. Secondly, such scenarios kept pushing me forward to go and do something for their welfare in some way possible.


Having worked on human genetics for such a long time, what would you say is the impact of Genetics in improving the quality of human life ?

During my research days, I have seen Mendelian genetics put to direct use and change patients' lives. The privilege of life which all of us are enjoying today is not at all possible without the basic discoveries of Genetics done by Mendel. I have seen the quality of human life transforming in front of me. There are families who just want one normal kid without any disability or disease. Had it not been for Mendel and his theory there would not have been a way for effectively treating simple monogenic disorders today. Of course genetics is not serving a solution for all known human health problems, but has always remained, and will continue to remain the ray of hope in numerous families whose ultimate goal is to lead a normal life.



What is that one message/motivation pill that you would like to give to young researchers working in Genetics today?

When I chose genetics as my research interest, I was really dicey about my future ahead. To be frank I was not sure if this field would have so much of outreach in India like other western countries. But now I look back and feel so really proud that I have chosen a path which benefits quality of life in some way. I just want to convey to all the young researchers in this field my heartfelt wishes and I would say they are on a path which offers a lot of benefits to human health care. So, I would say, “The only way to do a great work is to love what you do”




Comments